WHAT IS STEM?
It is an interdisciplinary approach to learning by combining multiple academic subjects and focusing on real-world lessons.
It is about students applying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in contexts that make connections between school, community, work and the world around them while moving students forward – creating stronger problem solvers and more creative innovators to lead the global economy.
Growing Future STEM Leaders
Orlando Science Center’s unmatched STEM learning environment provides new ways for all of Central Florida’s students, regardless of background, to learn the skills, and interface with the tools, that will be needed to overcome society’s greatest obstacles and challenges.
The STEM Discovery Center is the educational hub of the Science Center and empowers students, educators and visitors of all ages with the means to create prosperity and stability for our future. We encourage this type of meaningful innovation by following a set of guiding principles:
- Foster 21st century skills like collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and communication through hands-on learning
- Provide equitable access to new technology resources, trained instructors, and effective programming for all students and families
- Equip visitors with the conceptual and technical skills that will be needed in tomorrow’s workforce and classrooms
- Promote exploration, making, and tinkering as legitimate learning approaches
- Demonstrate how STEM concepts and learning reach across contexts and field
Why It Matters
By integrating the latest teaching methods, technologies, and resources into our range of education programs we are working to combat dismaying trends in STEM education.
Florida 8th grade students rank below the national average in math achievement, and only 33% of 8th graders are considered proficient in science.
By providing out-of-school educational opportunities, such as summer camps and afterschool programs, the Science Center reinforces classroom curriculum and provides real-world learning opportunities to reinforce content.