Hours of Operation: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
The Science Center Approach
At Orlando Science Center’s Preschool, children benefit not only from a developmentally appropriate learning space which includes hands-on activities and skill building centers, but also the diverse and content-rich STEM experiences on-site.
Our approach focuses on the whole child and incorporates project-based learning and the inquiry method. By using a project-based approach, children learn to apply subject matter to real world problems relevant to their age and community.
The staff, trained in effective questioning techniques and the facilitation of thoughtful dialogue, guide children through scientific inquiry and the engineering design process. Children thereby gain proficiency in scientific thinking and engineering process skills through repeated exposure and repetition.
Using a combination of Creative Curriculum blended with our own curricula provides STEM integration across all content domains. This blended curriculum format applies science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) practices to traditional early childhood domains such as literacy, language, social and emotional development, cognitive development, gross and fine motor skills, and the arts. By applying STEM learning in this way, learners gain an understanding of how to apply knowledge and use critical thinking skills to solve problems.
What is STEM?
STEM education is an interdisciplinary approach to learning, combining multiple academic subjects, focusing on the real-world impact of these lessons. It is about students applying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in contexts that make relevant connections between themselves and their school, community, work and their world. STEM education provides opportunities to create skills that move students forward to become stronger problem solvers and more creative innovators that can lead tomorrow’s global economy.
STEM learning creates an environment that builds critical 21st century skills, which are commonly referred as the four “C’s”: Critical thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity. These skills must be fostered throughout a child’s education because they are essential to building other important skills such as persistence, innovative thinking, teamwork and problem solving.
- Low child to adult ratios
- Early Childhood Appropriate Practices
- Florida Early Learning Developmental Standards Birth to Kindergarten (2017)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children(NAEYC) Standards
- Qualified Early Childhood/Elementary Education Staff
- Birth-Five Child Care Credential, National Early ChildhoodCredential, Degrees in Early Childhood/Elementary Education
- Level 2 Background Screened
- First Aid/CPR Infant/Child and Adult Certified
- Experience working with children 0 – 8 years old
- Age and Developmental Appropriate Curriculum
- Orlando Science Center STEM curricula applying science,technology, engineering and math
- Creative Curriculum, innovative and research based
- Embedding Science, Math, Literacy, Language, Cognitive, Gross andFine Motor, and skills into daily activities
- Hands-on classroom and outdoor environment activities through Play and Exploration
- STEM approaches and Engineering Design Process integrated in daily schedule
- Using all 5 senses – See, Hear, Touch, Smell and Taste
- Music and Movement, Physical Activity, Spanish and Sign Language
- Licensed by the Department of Children and Families
- Childcare Center C09OR0729
- Voluntary PreKindergarten Provider (VPK)
- Early Learning Coalition of Orange County
- Open to any child and family regardless of race, ethnicity, faith or creed
2020 - 2021 Preschool Tuition Fees*
3 Years Old by September 1, 2020 and Non-VPK 4/5 years old
Weekly Tuition includes 2 snacks daily
4 Years Old by September 1, 2020
VPK includes 1 snack daily
VPK Plus package includes 2 snacks daily
VPK only Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
VPK Plus Afternoon Session
9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
VPK Plus Morning & Afternoon Sessions
7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
*Orlando Science Center Preschool is a VPK provider. Pricing is subject to change.
Annual Registration Fees: $225 non-refundable (does not apply to VPK only).
All students must be independently toilet trained.