The Science Center Approach
At Orlando Science Center’s Preschool, children benefit not only from a developmentally appropriate learning space which includes hands-on activities and skill building centers, but also the diverse and content-rich STEM experiences on-site.
Our approach focuses on the whole child and incorporates project-based learning and the inquiry method. By using a project-based approach, children learn to apply subject matter to real world problems relevant to their age and community.
The staff, trained in effective questioning techniques and the facilitation of thoughtful dialogue, guide children through scientific inquiry and the engineering design process. Children thereby gain proficiency in scientific thinking and engineering process skills through repeated exposure and repetition.
Using a combination of Creative Curriculum blended with our own curricula provides STEM integration across all content domains. This blended curriculum format applies science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) practices to traditional early childhood domains such as literacy, language, social and emotional development, cognitive development, gross and fine motor skills, and the arts. By applying STEM learning in this way, learners gain an understanding of how to apply knowledge and use critical thinking skills to solve problems.
What is STEM?
STEM education is an interdisciplinary approach to learning, combining multiple academic subjects, focusing on the real-world impact of these lessons. It is about students applying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in contexts that make relevant connections between themselves and their school, community, work and their world. STEM education provides opportunities to create skills that move students forward to become stronger problem solvers and more creative innovators that can lead tomorrow’s global economy.
STEM learning creates an environment that builds critical 21st century skills, which are commonly referred as the four “C’s”: Critical thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity. These skills must be fostered throughout a child’s education because they are essential to building other important skills such as persistence, innovative thinking, teamwork and problem solving.
New! – Brightwheel Digital Communication App
- You will be able to direct message your Childs class
- Reports, pictures and videos of your Childs experience are uploaded daily
- Digital QR check in/out system and monthly newsletters are just a few of the many features
Early Childhood Appropriate Practices
- Florida Early Learning Developmental Standards Birth to Kindergarten (2017)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children(NAEYC) Standards
Qualified Early Childhood/Elementary Education Staff
- Birth-Five Child Care Credential, National Early ChildhoodCredential, Degrees in Early Childhood/Elementary Education
- Level 2 Background Screened
- First Aid/CPR Infant/Child and Adult Certified
- Experience working with children 0 – 8 years old
Age and Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum
- Orlando Science Center STEM curricula applying science,technology, engineering and math
- Creative Curriculum, innovative and research based
- Embedding Science, Math, Literacy, Language, Cognitive,Gross and Fine Motor, and skills into daily activities
Hands-on classroom and outdoor environment activities through Play and Exploration
- STEM approaches and Engineering Design Process integrated in daily schedule
- Using all 5 senses – See, Hear, Touch, Smell and Taste
- Music and Movement, Physical Activity, Spanish and Sign Language
Licensed by the Department of Children and Families – Childcare Center C09OR0729
Voluntary PreKindergarten Provider (VPK) – Early Learning Coalition of Orange County
Open to any child and family regardless of race, ethnicity, faith or creed
2021 - 2022 Preschool Tuition
Discovery Preschool – 3 Years Old by September 1, 2021
Weekly Tuition includes 2 snacks daily
Transitional Kindergarten/VPK Wrap – 4 Years Old by September 1, 2021
VPK includes 1 snack daily
Transitional Kindergarten /VPK WRAP includes 2 snacks daily
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Monday – Friday
Transitional Kindergarten/VPK WRAP
7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Monday – Friday
Annual Registration Fees: $245 non-refundable (does not apply to VPK Only).
All students must be independently fully toilet trained. Pricing is subject to change.
*FREE for any Orange County resident. Must have VPK Voucher from the Early Learning Coalition of Orange County. Does NOT include Early and Late Care.