Orlando Science Center hosts themed homeschool days for Grades K–8 each month during the academic year, September through May.
Each course includes:
- Standards-based Discovery Lab
- Guided exhibit experiences led by an Orlando Science Center Educator
- Large format educational films
- Work samples for your student’s homeschool portfolio
Fall Homeschool Schedule
September 13: Engineering
Grades K-2: STEM-tastic
- Embark on an Engineering Design Challenge journey through fields of engineering! Solve real-world problems by creating structures with civil engineering and experience electrical engineering by designing circuits.
Grades 3-5: Trampoline Engineering
- Learn to think like an engineer and use your knowledge of math and science to reach a goal. Using the Engineering Design Process, you will collaborate to design and create a trampoline bed that will allow a ball to bounce at least 50 cm high!
Grades 6-8: Rise to the Challenge: Weather Balloon Engineering
- Become an aerospace engineer by experiencing the battle between gravity and buoyancy! By collecting data and calculating the opposing forces, teams create a balanced attachment that will suspend a model weather balloon in the atmosphere. Can your team rise to the challenge?
October 4: Computer Science
Grades K-2: Bee Robotics
- Enter the world of computer science and programming using our robot friend Blue-Bot. Follow Blue-Bot as they explore the lives of honeybees and how they communicate with each other.
Grades 3-5: VEX Robotics
- ROADS CLOSED! How do we navigate our way through a new route? Students will learn the basics of programming and apply their knowledge of maps and measurement while they explore alternate paths with a VEX Robot. Is your team up to this robot challenge?
Grades 6-8: Drone Zone
- Explore the forces of flight while working in teams to program a drone to perform a search and rescue in our drone cage. Hone your skills as a drone pilot as you take to the skies.
November 1: Physics
Grades K-2: Little Engineers: Can We Fix It? Yes We Can!
- Children will learn about Engineers and the Engineering Design Process through exploring the story Anything Is Possible by Giulia Belloni and creating a solution to the storybook problem on their own in small teams.
Grades 3-5: Roller Coaster Physics
- Demonstrate how the forces of inertia, gravity, and friction affect motion while building a roller coaster model. Trace the flow of energy as it converts from potential to kinetic along the track.
Grades 6-8: Destination STEM: Roller Coasters
- Investigate energy transformations and discover careers in modeling and simulation while designing a fun and safe roller coaster.
December 6: Biology
Grades K-2: Superworm Science
- Dive into life science by investigating superworm behavior through a science experiment. Using the scientific method, collaborate to design and implement an experiment to determine which physical properties superworms prefer in their food.
Grades 3-5: Nature Inspired - The Bugs Have It!
- Have you ever wanted super strength like an ant or to fly like a butterfly? Together, we will be inspired by nature and animal adaptations to build an insect of your own design.
Grades 6-8: Put a Valve in It!
- Get your heart pumping in this biomedical engineering lab! Learn about the heart's anatomy by performing a dissection and designing a prosthetic valve.
Hours & Pricing
The homeschool program runs from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Student & Caregiver Pair – Member – $32
Student & Caregiver Pair – General Public – $35
Additional Student – $15
Additional Adult – $15
Student Only – Member – $17
Student Only – General Public – $20
Student & Caregiver Pair – Member – $37
Student & Caregiver Pair – General Public – $41