OSC challenges you to make an indoor obstacle course Superhero Training Camp in your own home!
Through working together and using the Engineering Design Process to build your obstacle course, you may discover that you have superpowers of your own!
We'd like to thank our longtime friend and corporate partner, FINFROCK for sponsoring this blog!
- Ask: Can you make a training camp that shows you what it takes to be a Superhero? What skills does a superhero need? How can you create challenges that highlight some of those skills?
- Imagine: Think about different things you could use around your home to make obstacles. Imagine how those objects can work together to make the best superhero course.
- Plan: Draw or write out your materials list so you can plan your course. Create layout of what you want your course to look like.
- Create: Assemble your course! Think about the different steps needed to bring your ideas to life. Adjust your diagram as necessary and make sure the course is safe!
- Improve: Once you’ve given it a try, think about if there are ways you could improve your training course. Can you make it more challenging? Did everything work the way you planned? If not, you can use the Engineering Design Process to help you improve your course!
Here are some suggestions to get started:
Item: Couch cushions or pillows
- Stand them up and weave around them
- Climb over them
- Jump on them
- Crash through them
Item: Laundry basket
- Toss small items into them
- Duck inside them
- Use them as large obstacles to maneuver around
- Gear up with different clothing items throughout the course such as hats, jackets, gloves, scarves, etc.
Some of our other favorite prop ideas:
- Cardboard boxes are great for tunnels!
- Masking tape on the floor makes for an instant DIY balance beam.
- Blankets make good tunnels and can separate one challenge from the next.
- Chairs or stools are great obstacles that you can also drape blankets over.
More ways to conquer the obstacle course:
Spy Mission: Go through the course as quietly as possible! Shhh!
Save the Citizen: Grab your favorite stuffed animal and go through the course while keeping your citizen safely by your side.
Freeze Blast: Grown-ups can freeze their hero in training during different parts of the course to catch them off-guard.
“Superman Says”: Grown-ups can choose what actions their superhero in training does while going through the course.
Grown-ups can also act as a cheering section or blow bubbles while little ones conquer the course!
Share your design, results, and in-action photos with us!
Orlando Science Center relies on partnerships with industry experts to provide insight on how science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and the incredible innovators within the industry are pushing the boundaries of possibilities. As a longtime friend and corporate partner, FINFROCK helps us inspire the next generation of STEM professionals and industry leaders. With their commitment and generous support, we are able to bring pivotal technology and engineering learning to life.
FINFROCK is committed to revolutionizing the technological advancement of engineering design and manufacturing. FINFROCK handles the design, manufacturing, and building of hundreds of projects a year for clients throughout Florida and across the nation. Learn more about FINFROCK!
OSC At Home Emails
Get a round up of our latest activities and ideas delivered straight to your inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Support OSC At Home
In these ever-changing times, it is our pleasure to adapt quality Orlando Science Center experiences to engage with everyone while they are safe at home. Please consider supporting our operating fund to ensure we can continue developing resources today and well into the future. Thank you for your generosity and support!