Join us on June 15 and 16 for a weekend full of making at Orlando Science Center!
Feeling crafty? Orlando Science Center’s MakeFest is right around the corner, featuring special programming in The Hive: A Makerspace, presented by The Isaacs Family, to celebrate the anniversary of its opening. Uncover your hidden talent, experiment with new ways to solve everyday problems and bring your creative ideas to life!
Learn how to become a creator, rather than a consumer with a variety of workshops and classes. Makers from across Central Florida will be in the building to share their creations and teach their crafts. From robotics to watercolor painting and sewing, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Don’t miss these making opportunities!
- Zine-Making: Learn how to design your own miniature publication with Orlando Girls Rock Camp.
- Wheel throwing: Porch Pottery will be demonstrating wheel throwing and making pieces throughout the day; Saturday June 15 only.
- Collaborative collage: Stop by Creative Core to add your unique element to their collaborative collage! Saturday, June 15 only.
- Loom weaving demonstrations: Discover how looms are used to produce intricate cloth and tapestry designs.
- Stained glass demonstrations: Conrad Pickel Studios will be set up in The Hive, showing guests how Stained Glass creations are made.
- Watercolor lessons: Gain skills in this beautiful medium (click here for a watercolor painting of Orlando Science Center!). Central Florida Watercolor Society will also host a workshop in The Hive on Saturday, June 22.
- Robot showcase: FIRST Robotoics teams will be here, showing off their impressive robots. Did we mention middle and high schoolers built these?
- Optics and Photonics: Not sure what this means? CREOL will be at MakeFest, showing guests how everyday objects can be turned into an interesting optical phenomena. Items include a Schlieren imaging device, and something called soy-sauce optics…consider us intrigued.
- Orlando Sewical: Learn how to create sewn bookmarks, crotchet hair braids and bracelets, and observe a knitting demo.
- Play Roboperation: A robotic twist on the classic game Operation with the Melrose Center! Plus, make or take a pop-up card, get a garden started with seed paper giveaways and solve laser cut puzzles before the clock runs out!
- Iron Man suit viewing: Learn how Dorian Alberti created a suit for this popular superhero. Saturday, June 15 only.
- Power Racer Cars: Discover how the folks of MakerFX rev their engines, plus make a button!
- Super Cool Awesome Pottery: Head to DinoDigs to see canvas painting, clay sculptures and more!
If you can’t attend MakeFest weekend, catch a workshop or open make in The Hive: A Makerspace all month long to celebrate the National Month of Making. Activities include 3D Design for Printing, Machine Sewing 101 and more! Click here for more information.
Orlando Science Center’s Make Fest is included with general admission, which is free for members, $21 for adults, $19 for students and seniors, $15 for youth (ages 3-11), and free for children two and under. Admission includes access to all four floors of hands-on exhibits, giant-screen films in the Dr. Phillips CineDome, 3D films in the Digital Adventure Theater and live programming.