From designing an escalator in a shopping mall to creating your favorite cellphone app, engineers are responsible for many of the innovative tools we use every day. Join Orlando Science Center as we celebrate the work of engineers during Engineering Weekend presented by FINFROCK on February 23 and 24. Explore our newest exhibit Above and Beyond presented by Boeing, participate in workshops in The Hive: A Makerspace, or conduct experiments in Dr. Dare's Lab. Plus – don't miss your chance to experience the electrifying Tesla Coil Show!
Engineering Weekend Activities:
- Tesla Coil Show – Discover how a Tesla coil can be transformed into a musical instrument. This live show explores the science of electricity and celebrates the innovative mind of Nikola Tesla and his Tesla coil. Explore the different types of electricity and delve into the history of the “current wars” between Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison. You won’t want to miss this electrifying experience! *Please note that this presentation contains loud noises and flashing lights. This may not be suitable for all audiences.
- Dr. Dare’s Lab – Conduct mind-boggling engineering themed experiments in Dr. Dare’s Lab.
- Workshops – Unleash your inner engineer in The Hive! Learn to work with hydraulics like a real engineer and develop exciting new skills.
- KEVA Block Construction Zone – Use KEVA blocks to build and create whatever you put your mind to. The only limit is your imagination!
- So, You Wanna Be An Astronaut? – Join us at the Science Live! Stage to learn about the fascinating work of astronauts and see if you have what it takes to launch into space!
- Dream Big: Engineering Our World – Celebrate remarkable human innovation in this inspiring giant-screen film. You'll be moved by the stories of engineers that are working tirelessly to create a better future for all of us.
- Great Bear Rainforest – Journey to a land of grizzlies, coastal wolves, sea otters and the Spirit Bear - the rarest bear on Earth. Discover the last intact temperate rainforest, protected by the region's indigenous people for millennia in this visually stunning documentary.
- Special guests – National Society of Black Engineers Central Florida Professionals Chapter, Engineering for Kids, and Florida R2 Builders will be in attendance.
Timed experiences are subject to change, please pick up a daily schedule upon arrival.
Engineering Weekend takes place February 23 and 24 from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and is included in the cost of admission, which is free for members, $20.95 for adults, $18.95 for seniors and students, and $14.95 for youth (ages 3 – 11).