Great Bear Rainforest is now playing in the Dr. Phillips CineDome!
Run wild with the magnificent creatures that were once thought to be a myth! In Great Bear Rainforest, discover spirit bears, the captivating white-coated North American black bears that have fascinated indigenous people and scientists alike for centuries. Although these bears may look like polar bears, this giant-screen film takes place in the wild coastal islands of Canada. Journey with the spirit bears, sperm whales, wolves, sea lions, and countless other species that call this uncharted land home. With rare insight into the lives of the First Nations people that share a home with these creatures and the contributions of guest narrator Ryan Reynolds and screen composer Hans Zimmerman, Great Bear Rainforest brings these never-before-seen wonders to life.
With so much to learn about one of the last wild places on Earth, we broke down the top five facts you need to know before seeing the film.
- What are spirit bears? These magnificent animals can only be found in the Great Bear Rainforest, where one in 10 of all bears are white. They get their beautiful color from a rare genetic trait. Although indigenous people have protected them for centuries, it wasn’t until the 20th century that scientists even discovered these bears.
- Filming took three years, but was 30 years in the making – Ian McAllister, the director of this stunning film, has called the Great Bear Rainforest home for quite some time. For over 30 years, this award-winning author and photographer has documented and advocated for the protection of the Great Bear Rainforest.
- First Nations People supported the production – This film couldn’t have been made without the permission, knowledge and guidance of the First Nations people that have been living in the Great Bear Rainforest for centuries. You’ll become inspired by the moving stories of the next generation of young leaders beginning their lifelong journey to protect the rainforest.
- This film is about more than the bears – Don’t let the name of the film fool you! Great Bear Rainforest focuses on the incredible journeys of many fascinating creatures that roam the land and sea. Dive into the deep blue with sperm whales, run with wolves, play in the coastal waters with sea lions, and even join a feeding frenzy with humpback whales.
- It has a star-studded production team – A project as exceptional and exciting as Great Bear Rainforest attracted some of the most talented and celebrated people in the film industry. Enjoy poignant and humorous narration by Ryan Reynolds, an award winning-actor and avid environmentalist. Become immersed in the story with a breathtaking score by Hans Zimmerman, an award-winning composer who has scored more than 120 films. Feel the dedication and love put into every part of this film by the incredible production team.
Great Bear Rainforest is now showing in the Dr. Phillips CineDome at Orlando Science Center. Please pick up a daily schedule upon arrival for show times, or click here for our online theater schedule.