04 May 2011
Posted in DNA Day
Create your own DNA replicated bracelet from real bacteria, food or even humans! Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is the name for the molecule that carries genetic instructions in ALL living things – from bacteria, to plants, to animals, to human beings. DNA is made up for four types of chemical building blocks called nucleotides:
- Adenine A
- Thymine T
- Cytosine C
- Guanine G
To understand that all living things have their own unique DNA sequence made up of the four nucleotides- make a bracelet using color beads that represent one of the nucleotides. Below are nucleotides from real DNA sequence of an organism.
- Elastic cord
- Beads (4 colors)
- DNA sequence of an organism
- Gather your materials and choose a DNA sequence of an organism listed below.
- Write down the name of the organism you choose.
- Write down each nucleotide (A, C, T, G) and write down the color bead you want to use for each nucleotide. For example, if you have a blue bead and you want to use if for “Guanine,” then “G” will always be blue.
- Look at your organism’s DNA sequence and choose a 15-letter section of sequence. Write that DNA sequence next the name of your organism.
- Tie a loose double knot on one end of the elastic about 1 inch from the top.
- Start beading your bracelet. The first bead that you place on the elastic will correspond to the first letter of your DNA sequence. You will continue adding beads corresponding to the sequence until you have put all 15 beads on the elastic.
- Tie a double knot at the other end of the elastic and leave about an inch or so of elastic on the end after the knot. .
- Lastly, tie the two ends together to form your wrist bracelet and cut away any excess elastic.
1. Homo sapiens (Human)
Fun fact: Humans have approximately 400 genes that make olfactory receptors, which contribute to a person’s sense of smell.
Olfactory receptor Gene: atgctgggtccagct, tacaaccacacaatg
2. Fragaria x ananassa (Strawberry)
Fun fact: Strawberries have up to eight copies of each chromosome (octoploid genome). Humans have two copies of each chromosome (diploid genome)
Ripening Gene: atgggaggacacaat, ctagtcttgattatc3. Canis familiaris (Domestic Dog)
Fun fact: The dog is a domesticated form of the gray wolf.
Muscle Development Gene: atgcagagactgcaa, atctgtgtttatatt