- Squirt some tempera paint into the plastic water bottles, adding enough to cover the bottom.
- Next, fill each bottle about halfway with clear soda.
- Use your stirrer to mix the paint in with the soda for best color results.
- Now place the bottles in the middle of your paper.
- Here’s the fun part! Take one Alka-Seltzer tablet and break it up into a few pieces. Remember, the more pieces, the better the reaction.
- Add Alka-Seltzer pieces to the bottles and you will see the bubbles start to work their way out. The mixture will flow onto the paper, creating art from your chemical reaction!
- Remove your bottles from the papers and allow the papers to dry.
Repeat this experiment in different ways to see how your chemical reaction will change! Try adding more or less soda, using bigger or smaller containers, or different amounts of tablets.
Ask questions like: What happens when we add more tablets? What if we use multiple colors? How can we make a bigger reaction?
Have fun making art with a fizz!