20 April 2011
Posted in Green Building Project
Try this simple Earth Day craft. This uses simple ingredients and comes out great. This is a great way to start talking to your kids about the importance of sustainability and “Going Green”. Never too early to start recycling!
- Coffee filter
- Blue and green washable markers (we used crayola brand)
- Squirt bottle or small glass of water
- Black construction paper
- Optional: white paint, old toothbrush and popsicle stick
Note: You can complete this project using food coloring instead of washable markers. However - I find this option to be very messy so would not do it with young children (if they get food coloring on their clothing you won't be able to get it out). I would only use this option with children over age 10, and even then would want a good amount of supervision and old clothes to be worn.
- Flatten out a coffee filter on a plate.
- Scribble the filter with blue and green washable markers.
- Use a squirt bottle to spray the coffee filter 2 or 3 times.
- Squirt right in the center of the filter and then sit and watch the water wick the colors over the filter (this takes 4 or 5 minutes)
- Let dry (this takes about 1/2 an hour, but will take longer if the filter has been soaked by an over-zealous crafter!)
- Optional: Splatter paint a piece of black construction paper:
- Cover your work area with newspaper
- Dip a toothbrush into white paint and tap it off to get rid of the excess.
- Hold it over the black paper and lightly rub the edge of the popsicle stick against the toothbrush to splatter dots of white paint onto the paper.
- Repeat until your black paper looks like a star filled universe.
- Set aside to dry
- Glue your earth to a piece of black construction paper (or to a splatter painted piece of black construction paper.