22 April 2012
Posted in Earth Day
Sometimes, it's easy to think that it takes a huge effort to change the environment. In reality, it only takes a few small steps from everyone. Here are ten things you can do today to help conserve the air around you!
- Combine errands to reduce "cold starts" of your car and avoid extended idling.
- Shop by phone, mail or Internet.
- Avoid waiting in long drive-thru lines, for example, at fast-food restaurants or banks. Park your car and go in.
- Accelerate gradually, maintain speed limit and use cruise control on the highway.
- Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned.
- Fill gas tank during cooler evening hours to cut down on evaporation.
- Avoid spilling gas and don't "top off" the tank. Replace gas tank cap tightly.
- Don't ignore the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light if it comes on. Make an appointment with your repair technician for diagnosis soon.
- Replace your car's oil regularly. Use an energy-conserving (E.C.) grade of motor oil.
- Replace your car's air filter and oil regularly.